Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tweet my wedding! Seriously?



I'm definitely a fan of Facebook and I'm trying to get into this whole twitter thing but this is a whole new level... "Tweet my wedding." (Tweetmywedding.com)

In Newsday on Valentine's Day 2010, in the Bridal Planner section, there was an article titled, "Let me call you tweetheart," about
the infamous groom, Dana Hanna, who broke out his phone while standing at the alter at his wedding ceremony to update his Facebook status to "married"... AT THE ALTER! Are you kidding me?

Sandra Fogleman, a recent bride sai
d, "Your wedding day is all about having the attention on you, and what better way to get attention than 'I'm being married right now' posted on your Facebook wall?"

Wow, really? That is fine and great but whether you write on your Facebook wall at that exact moment or when you get home from your wedding or perhaps the best opportunity; when you get home from your honeymoon...? I would like to think all the comments you receive that will probably just be "congratulations!!!" for the most part, wouldn't be seen until a few days after anyway! To think your own wedding is not exciting enough to keep you off your phone is rather depressing if you ask me... Are you really that interested to see what your "friends" (who aren't important enough to actually BE at your wedding) have to say about your new title as a husband or wife??

Mindy Howard, creator of Tweetmywedding.com, writes "It's almost like being an emcee for the wedding, but in the Twitter world." She writes that she has seen this trend take off in the last four months. However, thankfully, Howard says there is a proper etiquette to be followed... No tweeting should be done during the ceremony, well thank God for that. She continues, "I don't endorse bad manners. Responsible tweeting and no tipsy tweeting."

On youtube.com you can see this video and I am relieved to say that I am not the only one who thinks this is a little bit ridiculous, user zhabbah writes, "
You must all be crazy. Cute and witty? Are you all on crack? It was meant to be funny, but I think it's just sad. Videos like this should ring an alarm - if you even think about interrupting your own wedding just to post sth on FB, you are definitely spending too much time on those social networking sites. People, wake up and embrace your REAL lives... seriously - nobody cares."

All in all, let your guests be the one's tweeting and updating their Facebook pages if you need your wedding to be so desperately posted online. Although, I do find it hard to believe you, the bride or groom, won't be offended by seeing your guests on their phones at any part of your multi-thousand dollar wedding....

2 comments:

  1. REALLY? u just made me read something that i actually read about in that newsday! butthead... 2 minutes ill never get back!

    ps... what r u doing? is this just for fun.. or school?

    ReplyDelete